When Goods Cannot Clear Customs
Clearing customs is more challenging than it may appear. During a customs inspection, all the documentation needs to be complete, up-to-date, factual, and in keeping with the requirements of that destination.
Why do shipments get stuck?
If the shipment, with its accompanying documentation, fails to meet the requirements of the customs regulations the shipment is held. Some of the reasons include the following:
- Incomplete Commercial Documents,
- Incorrect or missing permits and licenses,
- Incorrect packaging or labeling,
- Missing Country of Origin, and
- Missing HS codes.
The implications of a stuck shipment
- Delays that affect essential deadlines and engineering teams,
- Fines if the value of the goods is incorrectly declared,
- Forced return of the shipment,
- Loss of clients and reputational damage,
- Major storage costs, and
- Seizure and disposal of shipment.